The annual International Human Rights Day commemorates the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the United Nations General Assembly on December 10, 1948. This year, the focus is on the rights of all people to make their voices heard in public life and political decision-making, including women, youth, minorities, people with disabilities (including those with HIV/AIDS), indigenous people, the poor and the marginalized.
The HIV/AIDS and human rights group Health GAP is seeking participation today in actions in congressional offices nationwide to support a Robin Hood Tax on Wall Street that would avoid potential budget cuts to U.S. funding of the international programs such as the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria and the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), as well as domestic programs such as Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) and the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act.
Here is a list of actions from Health GAP:
- Austin, TX: 4–6 p.m., Chase Bank building (Senate offices housed there), 221 W. Sixth St.
- Bakersfield, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Kevin McCarthy’s office, 4100 Empire Drive, Suite 150
- Bangor, ME: 10 a.m. press conference, 5:30 p.m. candlelight vigil, Sen. Susan Collins’s office, 202 Harlow St., Room 204
- Boston, MA: 4–6 p.m., Sen. John Kerry’s, office, One Bowdoin Square, No. 10
- Campbell, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Mike Honda’s office, 1999 S. Bascon Ave., Suite 815
- Concord, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. George Miller’s office, 1333 Willow Pass Road, Suite 203
- Duluth, MN: time to be announced, Rep. Chip Cravaack’s office
- Fresno, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Jim Costa’s office, 855 M St., Suite 940
- Gold River, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Dan Lungren’s office, 2339 Gold Meadow Way, Suite 220
- Rockville, MD: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Chris Van Hollen’s office, 6475 New Hampshire Ave. Suite C-201
- Kalamazoo, MI: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Fred Upton’s office, 157 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Suite 180
- Los Angeles, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Henry Waxman’s office, 8436 W. Third St., Suite 600
- New York, NY: 4–6 p.m., Offices of Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, 780 Third Ave.
- Orange, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Ed Royce’s office, 1110 E. Chapman Ave., Suite 207
- San Francisco, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Nancy Pelosi’s office, 90 Seventh St., Suite 2-800
- Seminole, FL: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Bill Young’s office, 9210 113th St.
- St. Louis: 12 noon, starting at the SSA offices, 5669 Delmar Blvd., then marching to Sen. Claire McCaskill’s office, 5850 Delmar Blvd., Suite A
- Stockton, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Jerry McNerney’s office, 2222 Grand Canal Blvd., Suite 7
- Vista, CA: 4–6 p.m., Rep. Darrell Issa’s office, 1800 Thibodo Road, Suite 310