Senate Republicans will not give up their efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA, or Obamacare). After previous attempts failed this summer, amid nationwide protests, GOP lawmakers now hope to pass the Graham-Cassidy bill, so called after senators Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, who crafted the legislation. As Vox points out, the bill is the most disruptive one yet—and it has a chance of passing very soon.
The GOP’s deadline is September 30, which means this is another all-hands-on-deck situation for health care advocates. Once again, the Positive Women’s Network–USA is helping lead the charge with an informative action alert and resource center. Tuesday, September 26, is National HIV Call-In Day to Save Health Care.
The PWN-USA alert spells out the dangers of the new bill, stating: Like the other versions of Trumpcare, Graham-Cassidy would, among other things:
- End protections for people with preexisting conditions (like HIV, cancer, asthma, diabetes, etc.)
- Allow insurers not to cover essential health benefits, including prescription drugs, labs, hospitalization, contraception, preventive services and much more
- Decimate Medicaid by providing block grants to states, limiting federal government contributions and shifting the cost burden onto states, as well as allowing states to set their own rules and eligibility requirements
- Block millions of people from going to Planned Parenthood for preventive care, including birth control, cancer screenings and the testing and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Take health care coverage away from tens of millions of people. Since Republicans they are ramming the bill through without waiting for an analysis from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), we do not yet know exactly how many.
According to PWN-USA, Tuesday, September 26, is a National HIV Call In Day, though activists urge folks to start speaking up today in order to save health care. To find out which members of Congress you should connect with, call the HIV hotline at 866-246-9371.
The action alert includes sample texts you can use for tweets and Facebook posts as well as a script you can follow when calling your senators.
On Tuesday, September 19, at 8:30 p.m. ET and 5:30 p.m. PT, you can join a national planning call organized by Housing Works and Health GAP. Dial 712-451-0011 and use the passcode 485149#,1#.
You can download and share graphics (like the ones in this article) on social media. Also, be sure to use and search hashtags such as #KillTheBill, #GrahamCassidy and #HIVResists.
To learn more about the GOP bill, read “Like Other ACA Repeal Bills, Cassidy-Graham Plan Would Add Millions to Uninsured, Destabilize Individual Market” written by the nonpartisan Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.